Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Easy Way

I was getting dressed this morning when I realized I had only one clean bra left. And it was my ugly bra---originally a white one, now kinda brown---sorta looks like it was run over by a lawnmower. Time to do laundry. But you see, the thing is I really didn't want to do laundry. Sunday I spent all day doing every stitch of laundry in this house. Seven loads later all the hampers were empty and I had earned my glass of wine. And yeah, I know that was four days ago but still, I feel as if I've earned a break.

So I decided to take the easy way out and just wash out all my lingerie in the sink. I dug through the hamper (throwing clothes everywhere), found my unmentionables, put them in the sink and turned on the water.

On the way to the laundry room to get the soap, I noticed the girl was drawing an awesome picture so I stopped to comment on it. Then I got to the kitchen, saw there was no more coffee and decided to make a fresh pot. After turning on the kettle and preparing the french press I realized it was time to let asshole stray cat in. Then I remembered I had originally been headed this way to get...what was it I was supposed to be getting? Oh yeah, the laundry soap.

Uh-oh.

By the time I got back to the bathroom there was water everywhere. The counter top had about half an inch of water on it. All of my makeup, perfume, and other lady items were floating in water. I had left open the door to the cabinet under the sink so water dripped in there as well. Rolls of toilet paper are soaked and warped. The floor was entirely covered in water. The only thing that kept the water from traveling further was the pile of dirty clothes that I had thrown from the hamper while looking for my bras. That pile is now soaked and will have to go in the washing machine today or it will get moldy.

So much for not doing laundry today.

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Oh, I'm sorry. I feel your pain.

BloomingAlmond said...

your "unmentionables" LOOOOLL
Oh God you're funny... I've been there girl... I know what you mean... But you know what? Lately I just laugh when that happens... There's no point of getting upset... Hang on in there... :) Send me half of it and I'll help you out :)

Tammie said...

nowheymama: I totally appreciate the online support. It helps to have my pain felt.

blooming: You are totally right. For a split second when I saw the mess I had the urge to just sit down and cry---it was all so overwhelming. But then I decided to not worry about it too much---it just wasn't worth it. I did feel like a bit of a dumbass though. :)

Believe me, if you didn't live so far away, I'd totally be bringing my laundry over!

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...

Haven't you read "If you give a mouse a cookie?" Same concept. "If you give a mom some laundry..."

BloomingAlmond said...

You would be welcome... but only if you had a bottle of wine... I really need to learn how to enjoy wine...

Layrayski said...

I'm sorry about your supposed to be non- laundry day. Geez. I feel your pain but it did make a funny blog =) sorry hehehe

Aleta said...

That was a funny post, thanks for the smiles! Life is all about the distractions along the way. Lol.

When I do laundry and wash the "unmentionables" ~ I don't put bras in the dryer. I let them "air dry" (tried the dryer one time and it destroyed the bras!)... Only thing is the best place to air dry under the ceiling fan is in the dining room by the chairs. The first time that I did laundry when Greg moved in, he was a little confused with the bras hanging around. Lol.

Consider the experience.. hmm, inspiration for laundry? Enjoyed your post!

Tammie said...

cyndy; "if you give a mom some laundry.....she may just flood the house."

lyra: just when i was thinking "i dont have anything to write about this week." :)

blooming: ya want to know a secret? i didn't start drinking until my first kid was two. i blame his terrible twos for the fact that i now need a drink a few nights a week. nevermind that hes now 10.

aleta: nice to have you here and im glad you had a smile.
i had to laugh at the image of bras in the dining room.