Saturday, August 23, 2008

Weekly Update: Fay Edition

Okay. Now I'm really, really tired of being stuck in the house. Because of Fay, there was no school Thursday or Friday. The kids are getting on my last nerve and with all the animals hovering about, it's starting to feel a bit Noah's Ark-like around here. I vow that when the weather is nice, I'm going to take the girl to the park and not leave until she suggests it's time to go. Yes, I am aware that time at the park moves slower than non park time. Yes, I'm aware that every time I take her to the park we stay about 30 minutes and it feels like 8 1/2 hours, but if my three year old does not get outside and running soon, she's going to make me even crazier than I already am.

My brain is a bit fried this week so I'm going to make this easy on myself. Here is a list of what went on this week:

* I've participated in lots of child-based activities. We've painted and cooked. Played Barbies and baked cookies. Read stories and played Wii Fit. When the wind died down and it wasn't raining too heavily, I took the girl outside to gather acorns. Acorns! I'm so, so out of ideas.

(I don't know if you can tell by the picture above, but in her hair is a ponytail holder from the Freshly Picked Etsy Shop. I've mentioned the shop before when I bought some pillowcase dresses. I really love all the Freshly Picked items.)

*The library hasn't been open the past few days, but we were able to go earlier in the week, thank goodness. One of the books I checked out for the girl was called The Witch's Children. It's adorable and entertaining, even for adults. Do check it out if you get the chance.

*One of the books I read this week was Go Green, Live Rich. It was basically a list of 50 ways to save the earth. I almost feel bad adding this one to my reading list because it only took a few hours to read and I didn't get too much from it. Most of the suggestions I either already do (switch to compact fluorescent bulbs, compost, buy energy star items) or are things I would like to do but just don't have the budget for yet. I don't need to be told that solar panels are a great idea. I know they are. I just don't have the funds for the initial cost of $20,000. I did read the book from cover to cover though, so it's going on the list. (That brings the total to 42, for those keeping track.)

*During one of the windier moments of the storm, I heard something hit the roof. I went outside and saw a baby squirrel on the roof. Jay came out and rescued him and we found two more of his siblings in various parts of the yard. Sadly, one of them died before the night had ended. I think he hit the ground pretty hard, his head was a horrible mashed up shape.
They spent the night in an infants shoe box under a lamp to keep warm. We fed them every few hours from a children's medicine dispenser.

The next morning we gave them to one of my mom's friends who has done this sort of thing before successfully. One of the squirrels was starting to squirm and crawl out of the box, and my house with it's six cats, just wasn't the safest place for him. There is a part of me that feels bad, because I'm sure the squirrel mama was looking for her babies, but I couldn't leave them out in the yard in the cold rain.

*Jay and I watched a movie called Smart People. We were both really blown away by this movie. Ellen Page and Thomas Haden Church were hilarious as ever. I've always been sort of unimpressed with Dennis Quaid and Sarah Jessica Parker, but they really turned it up a notch in this movie. I kinda forgot it was Dennis Quaid and Sarah Jessica Parker. This is one of the few movies I watched all the way through without looking at the clock and wondering if it was going to end soon.

Well people, that was it for my week. We were trapped in the house but we tried to make the most of it. We really didn't get too much excitement from Fay, some rain and wind but nothing like what was had by the rest of the state.

I want to leave you with this picture of my son wearing his Safety Patrol sash. He put it on the other morning and sighed, "I've been waiting for this for five years."

3 comments:

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...

Man, do I know that cabin fever feeling. They BETTER open the schools Monday!
I love your son's quote at the end, TOO cute! Both of my older 2 kids were patrols and I really hope the youngest is too, she will love it.
Will he be going to Washington DC? And are you crazy enough to chaperone? LOL

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...

PS~ we're having an adoption event for the Dachshund Rescue tomorrow at Petco (just past the mall, near I-75). I know you're probably not in the market for adopting MORE animals, lol, but if you're in the area you should stop by! We'll be there from 12-3.

Tammie said...

oooh. i wish i had known...i was just at petco yesterday---i could have put my trip off another day.

its just a few stores down from the shoe store my hubby mangages:) are you at those petco adoption events often?

so far my son is planning on the dc trip, and we've started saving for it.

we havent yet decided if either of us are brave enough to chaperone.