Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Morning Thoughts

Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe I'm just wishing for it too hard. But I swear I feel a little bit of fall in the air. Am I crazy? The first official day of fall isn't until September 22, so it isn't time to start baking pumpkin pies yet of course, but it seems like the days with suffocating summer heat are over. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon.

Things seem to be getting back to normal around here. The boy is at school and the adults are headed back to work. I can plan on getting the girl back on some sort of schedule. Despite the fact that Fay has passed us, we got quite a bit of rain yesterday and last night, so I don't think we'll be having our long park day today---but soon.

I wanted to give you a small update on the baby squirrels. The female died of pneumonia. My mom's friend realized she was ill and gave her antibiotics, but it wasn't caught in time. The male is doing great though, eating well and being very active. As soon as his eyes are open she'll put him in a cage on her porch so that he can gradually get used to being outside. Once he learns to crack nuts on his own, she'll open the cage door so he can come and go as he pleases. Eventually, he'll go for good.

Saturday Jay was looking kinda bored so I sent him to the library with a list of about ten books I've been wanting to read. Usually when Jay makes library runs for me he comes back empty handed or with only one book. Our library tends to disappoint. Imagine my surprise when he came back with his arms full of books. Right now I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I am loving this book and am so inspired by it. In it, Kingsolver and her family chronicle the year they spent eating only foods they grew, or were grown or made locally. Although my family buys a lot of locally grown produce, I am always wishing we could do more, especially when it comes to the growing aspect. There is an awesome satisfaction you get when you grow your own food. Although our garden wasn't horribly successful, we did get a lot of tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and a few random strawberries. The excitement I felt when I put the lettuce that came from my backyard on a sandwich was addictive. I'm definitely going to do some more research and planning for next Spring, instead of just randomly plopping plants into the ground and hoping for a salad. Yesterday I was watching Forcast Earth on The Weather Channel (I know-- so dorky) and there was an interview with Barbara Kingsolver. She was saying how her family never really missed the out-of-season fruits and veggies because there was always something good to eat in-season. Towards the end of the piece she said something to the effect of (and I know I'm probably botching this), Instead of going to the kitchen and saying, what do I want to eat?--we should be saying what do I have to eat? Living by this motto would be life changing, considering most of our food is shipped to us from all over the world.

Another book I'm reading right now is Marley and Me. It's an entertaining, easy to read book about a man and his dog. I think I can relate to this book almost too much. When reading about all the destructive things Marley does, it makes me think back to when my dog, Lulu, was a puppy. She was the most disobedient, asinine dog I've ever known. She chewed everything: baseboards, the kids toys, an entire box of photos I hadn't gotten around to putting in an album. I was so glad when her puppy phase ended. She's about five years old and just now getting to be the dog I've always wanted.

The next book on the list is A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. It's been a long time since I sat down and read a book of poetry. I hope my gnat-like attention span can handle it.

Well, I've already been way too wordy for a Monday morning and I suppose I've ignored the girl long enough. I think the Nickelodeon marathon she has been enjoying for the last two hours needs to end now.

8 comments:

Layrayski said...

You know what? I didn't know until recently that fay is a weather condition you're having over there. Gee. I really should try to be more aware of the outside world than what I've been doing.

love your monday musing, kinda mellow-like. peaceful.

Too bad about the baby squirrel. Thats sad. I used to have a lot of pets growing up. From chicken to cats. Mammals to reptiles to amphibian and avian. Anyway, as I said too bad about the squirrel. do you know that I haven't ever seen a live squirrel.

Its nice you have a well stocked (relatively speaking) library. (Sigh)

The idea of being self sufficient in terms of food is awesome. That would be a dream. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of area to plant vegetables in our place. maybe soon. I keep thinking, maybe dreaming is more of an appropriate term, that we'd plant our own rice. The way prices of basic commodities are skyrocketing it is one idea that came to me.

I haven't been commenting a lot lately on your posts- i've been lurking. It seems like i'm making up for it by this gigantic comment. I hope you don't mind. =)

Nowheymama said...

I LOVE Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I just made her relish/sauce/chutney recipe this weekend. Mmmm....

Tammie said...

lyra.....it's easy to get lost in your own problems and not be aware of what else is going on. it happens to me a lot. :)

the list of animals you've had is impressive....i've only had the basics: cat, dog, hamster, bird, fish---pretty generic stuff. I would like to have a pot bellied pig one day though.

the price of commodities have gone up here too---our grocery budget doesn't go nearly as far as it once did.

and feel free to lurk all you want....i often do the same on your page---sometimes there is just no more to say ;)

nowheymama.......animal, vegetable, miracle had been on my mental book list for a while but i had always set it aside for something else. no im mad at myself for not reading it sooner. i had no idea i would love it was much as i do. i havent made any of the recipes yet, but there are definitely a few i plan on trying.

Layrayski said...

I'd love to own a hamster! have you read Stephanie Plum series by Janet evanovich? Mmm maybe you have...

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...

I saw Halloween decorations at 2 different stores this weekend. I love fall and Halloween, so it got me excited!
I'm so glad Fay has blown away. I'm really hoping for no rain for the next 2 weekends, this weekend J and I are going to St Augustine, no kids, just a getaway. Then the next weekend, we're hoping to have my stepson's b-day party at a park. We'll see....
I'm sorry the squirrely girl died but I'm glad the male is doing well. That's great that you saved them!
The books sound good, I've heard so much about Marley & Me but never read it. Yet! I wish we could grow a garden. I need to at least buy more produce from local growers.

BloomingAlmond said...

Hey Tammie and thank you so much for your kind words! I'm really happy that Fay didn't do any major damages around there but kinda sad for the little squirrels...... :) keep up that reading! I'm now getting into "The Last Samurai" by Helen Dewitt (again...).

Tammie said...

cyndy: now that im reading more of marley and me, i know you would LOVE it.
also...i'm jealous of your no-kids trip:)


bloomingalmond: thank you so much for stopping over here. im going to go look up that book right now..i love suggestions.

Tammie said...

lyra: i have read the stephanie plum series---they are a guilty pleasure.