Saturday, July 26, 2008

Weekly Update

Even though I spent a good portion of the week crying, throwing things, and yelling about how my family disgusts me, I did manage to compile enough crap to throw together a Weekly Update. Not interesting crap, mind you, but I think it's on par with the usual housewifery crap I feel the need to spew at you every week. (Spellcheck has just informed me that 'housewifery' isn't a word. I think that if 'midwifery' can be a word, so can 'housewifery'. Screw you spellcheck, I refuse to be bound by your rigid rules.)

Jay installed some lovely new laminate flooring in my mama's room. It's the same flooring that is in the girl's room and it looks wonderful. Jay is getting quite good at floor installation. I was going to post some pictures of my mom's room but I didn't want to invade her privacy. And she needs to paint her room. (ahem ahem) So, I think I'll wait until she paints her walls and then I will invade her privacy.

It seems that being a life-long sugar addict is finally catching up with me. I've noticed that the last few times I've eaten copious amounts of sugary foods, I just haven't felt all that good the next day, almost as if I was hung over. So I've decided to cut back significantly on my sugar intake. For now I'm focusing on the obvious culprits: cake, cookies, ice cream, and candy. The candy part has been the most trying for me. My most enjoyable candy time is when I'm in the car. (It should say something about me that I even have a most enjoyable candy time.) I love to drive around eating Nerds or Sweet Tarts and Jay is always kind enough to keep the car stocked with goodies for me. The first thing I do when getting in the car is to dig around to see what kind of candy is available to me. And if Jay hasn't bought any then I start searching the floor to see if I dropped saved something the last time I was in the car. Shameful I know. Anyways, I've been mostly sugar free for about four days now. I did pop a few jelly beans when no one was looking but considering I used to eat a bag of jellybeans in one sitting, I don't think my body was even aware I had eaten anything sugary.

I realize it's been a while since I updated you on my book reading goal. As of this moment I've read thirty-five books this year. That means I have to read three books a month to reach my goal by January first. I am at that point where it's becoming more of a challenge. But I continue to read. I just finished 'Full-Frontal Feminism' by Jessica Valenti, who you may or may not know is the founder of Feministing.com. This is an awesome book and I plowed through it in less than 48 hours. It dispelled so many of those awful myths about feminists. Feminists aren't all hairy, scary lesbians. And if they are, so what? Basically a feminist is a gal that wants to be treated like a human. Wow, I think most of the ladies I know are feminists, we've just been scared to be associated with the term. Really, it's not a bad thing, but if you don't believe me then read the book and decide for yourself. It's a perfect introduction to feminism.

Another book I'm reading at the moment is 'The Other Boleyn Girl.' Despite the fact that it has six hundred some odd pages, it's pretty simple and easy to read as well. I will admit though, that I got about one fourth of the way through when I set it aside to read about feminism and now I'm having a hard time picking it back up. I'm sort of in a feminist state of mind at the moment and not at all in the mood to read more about the awful way Henry VIII treated women. He had to be the king of all assholes.

I suppose that's about it for this update. It's been a slow couple of weeks. I think I heard my mom say something about taking the kids to the museum tomorrow, so maybe I'll take the hubby out for coffee. That is, if I can tear him away from the house project he has planned. I think I'll be able to.

3 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I've been totally sugar-free since my surgery in February (except for natural sugars found in fruit). I've had some trying moments, but I admit it does feel good!

Layrayski said...

Another week has passed huh? I got the chills reading your title. Where did the time go? hehe

Ok we'll await the invasion of your mom's privacy.

I'm not really a sweet tooth. I have binge eating once in a while but on a regular basis? Not really. Wow you sure do eat a lot of sweets, and jelly beans too? I haven't really acquired the taste for it.

I love to hear about your book reading status. I don't have new books to read so I envy you. Oh actually I borrowed one but I'm not in the frame of mind to read something heavy. Its Kaplan's synopsis of psychiatry. I read about it somewhere that if you really love psychology this book is a must read. I did read the intro. So far.

I like to think that I'm a feminist. I wasnt exposed to the negative connotation of this word-- no hairy lesbians professing to be feminist where I come from, so I have always thought of myself as one.

Okay, I'll try to be ready for your next weekly update. (Hehe)

Tammie said...

Lyra I just googled 'Kaplan's synopsis of psychiatry.' That is a big book. I'm sure the intro alone was long.

I love candy. I've been pretty good the last week or so though. I hope to keep it up ;)

Feminist/Feminism is almost a bad word around here. I'm on a mission to change that, one person at a time. wish me luck--ha