Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Weekly Update

The excitement around here has died down quite a bit and I'm pleased. The first part of the summer was hectic. It seemed as if we always had a project to do or the boy had plans or was going somewhere. Now that our schedule is open, there is more time for just hanging out and doing nothing. The children are learning to enjoy the downtime.The other day I caught the girl outside playing a game she invented where she would "catch" pine cones with an old dog leash. I have no idea how this could be any fun to anyone, but it has become her afternoon game. Go figure.In other girl news, she keeps finding new and exciting ways to get stuck in things. Here she is stuck in her hamper. This one (unlike the bed incident of a few weeks ago) was actually quite dangerous since the handle was pretty tight around her neck. This child cannot be left alone for two minutes.The boy is also learning to entertain himself. I did make the mistake of telling him he could dye his hair green for the summer, so he keeps nagging me to take him to Hot Topic. Once I give in, you can bet I'll be posting those pictures here on the interwebs. He has started reading more on his own(without me having to threaten him) and is almost enjoying our trips to the library so I guess I can reward him with a few weeks of green hair.

I've gotten back into the habit of reading regularly as well.(I'm up to 31 books for the year!) I've veered a bit off track the past few weeks but thanks to my new reading nook, I'm almost done with Wacky Chicks and have started reading The Creative Family by Amanda Soule. The Creative Family is all about finding the time to incorporate little creative moments in everyday life. I feel like I used to be able to do this on my own--without the help of a book. But since buying the crap shack, there is always a list of a million things that need to get done. It can get overwhelming and the idea of setting aside a few moments to do something creative with the kids is far down on the list. Or not on the list at all. I'm trying to change that. (As a side note: Amanda Soule also writes a beautiful blog, SouleMama. There is a link to it on the right.)

Back in April my family vowed to keep every Monday a meatless day. No meat at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And for the most part we've stuck with it. When there isn't a lot of time for preparation we usually just have spaghetti or macaroni and cheese but Jay and I have tried to always do more than that. We've had meals such as homemade veggie lasagna or tacos made with Morningstar Farms Grillers Recipe Crumblers(Publix makes a less expensive version of these that work just as well.)Last night we had veggie burgers, veggie dogs, and sweet potato fries. Jay cooked the "meat" on the grill. Fake meat is much easier to eat with grill marks on it. My kids hardly notice the difference.

I've been eyeing some art on Etsy to replace my smoking kitties. I ordered it last night but don't want to unveil exactly what it is yet. Let's just say I didn't stray too far from the "animals in clothes" theme. I can't wait to get it. Stay tuned over the next few weeks for the grand unveiling.

3 comments:

Gili said...

I need your help, Tammie. I'm trying to order the hedgehog pouches but there's only one in stock. Do you have the email address for the maker of the pouches? I want to see if I can order more for friends. Thanks.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the idea of a meatless day a week. I keep saying I'm going to start that and I need to just do it!

Tammie said...

it's a great way to be sure you introduce new foods to the kiddies. my son's favorite meatless meal is tofu stir fry. he's quite the junk food junkie and meat-aholic otherwise, so i think it's pretty cool that he's found this totally vegan meal that he loves.

the hardest part is making sure you have the stuff on hand for your particular meatless day. we've had to be flexible a few times and switch Meatless Monday to Tasty Tuesday. :)