Thursday, July 10, 2008

Recent Purchase

Whenever we order Chinese Food, I always ask for extra packets of duck sauce. Many extra packets. Like twelve. Rare are the times that I get as many as I would like, and if on the off chance I am able to snag some extras, it's not without a frown from the good folks at the restaurant. I just know they're probably thinking, "Greedy American Pig." But I need at least three packets per egg roll and another six for my fried rice. Not to mention the sauce I will need when I eat the leftovers the next day. Or later that night. Whatever the case, I like the duck sauce.

Which means I was overjoyed today when we were at the grocery store and eagle-eyed Jay spotted this:

A 40 ounce jar of duck sauce! I had no idea that this was readily available to the general public. I thought you had to be in the restaurant business, or at least make a trip to a specialty grocer. But nope, it was right there in the 'ethnic' section of my local Publix.

Did you know the main ingredient in duck sauce is apricots? I learned this today when I was reading the label and thinking of things to dip in the jar other than egg rolls, a spoon, or my grubby fingers. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I don't like duck sauce. So I'll send you all of my extras. :P
I love soy sauce though, and like you, I never get enough!

Tammie said...

we'll have to have a duck sauce/soy sauce trade off. :)

Layrayski said...

I don't know how duck sauce taste like but the first thing that came to my mind that you should try to pair it with is lumpia shanghai. I then googled lumpia shanghai and it said its also called spring rolls. Ah so... I'm sure I'd love duck sauce too! Mmmm!

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/lumpia-shanghai-recipe/

Tammie said...

this is too funny because i just left a comment on your page about spring rolls. we are having a strange mind connection! i'll have to check out that recipe. thanks.

Layrayski said...

On the other hand, the recipe only got one star. I better look for another on the net for you to try. :)

This this recipe looks as if its the same as what I usually eat. Simple.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/12119

This garnered 4 1/2 stars. This must be a better recipe--

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lumpia-Shanghai-version/Detail.aspx