Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Moments such as this totally justify my coffee addiction

At 6:45 this morning, when my daughter forced me out of bed, I was surprised to see the boy up already. I was also shocked when he said he didn't sleep at all last night. At first, I didn't really believe him. Not that my son is a liar, I just thought maybe he was confused. Perhaps he fell asleep for a bit and didn't realize it. A few hours later though, I figured he was telling the truth when I noticed he was sacked out on the couch.

(Let me stop right here to mention that I hate to see people sleeping on the couch. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. Bedrooms are for sleeping. If I see someone napping on the couch, I am likely to start vacuuming the couch cushions three inches from their face.)

So, I went over and patted him on the shoulder and told him if he wanted to sleep all day then he needed to take it to his room because I was about to vacuum. He stared at me, wide eyed and delirious, then got up and walked to the glass door, as if he was going outside. Described below is the bizarre conversation that followed:

Me: What are you doing?

Crazy Sleepwalking Boy: Getting my flip-flops.

Me: Um, why? I thought you were going back to bed. Why do you need flip-flops?

Crazy Sleepwalking Boy: (yelling) YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! WE HAVEN'T STARTED YET!

Me: I don't know what you're talking about. Are you ok?

Crazy Sleepwalking Boy: (still yelling) BUT THE BELTS! THE BELTS! WHAT ABOUT THE BELTS?!

Me: Now I really have no idea what you're talking about but I think you definitely need to go to bed.

At this point I took him by the hand and led him back to his bed, being sure to avoid all the "belts." (?) Sleep tight Crazy Sleepwalking Boy.
*Note: Image not my actual kid. Just a picture of some random jammie-clad boy that I found hilarious.

3 comments:

Layrayski said...

Gee a true blue somnabulism/sleepwalking!


Lyra

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...

I wonder what he was doing while he was awake all night?
My stepson sleepwalks...it can be very interesting!

Tammie said...

This was the first time he had ever sleepwalked and it was definitely interesting.

As for what he did that night, he said he watched Nick at Night and read a bit. Then I think he was just so overly-tired that he reached that point where he couldn't fall asleep. Needless to say, it won't be happening again. :)