Friday, July 18, 2008

An Interesting Story

Well, this story may be interesting if you love tales of poop and pee. I must be fascinated by them since I am somehow able to devote at least one blog post a week to some horrific tale of poop, pee, or an awesome combo of both.

Do you remember last week when I mentioned how my old lady cat, Isabelle, had started doing her business in the bathtub? I also mentioned that it was an inconvenience but the clean up was easy. To be more specific, I would pick up the, um, solids, and then just rinse the tub and let everything else go down the drain. This is how the story gets interesting.

Ever since Isabelle has started doing this, I've noticed cat pee smell in the bathroom and closet. (Our closet is more or less in the same room as the bathroom.) I thought maybe I wasn't cleaning the tub well enough so I bought a whole new slew of cleansers and scrubbed the tub until my fingers bled. Then I washed and re-washed the shower curtain. I could still smell pee. So I thought maybe Isabelle had started peeing in the closet. So I vacuumed and steam cleaned the carpet. I could still smell cat pee. More specifically, it was as if the smell was coming from the wall.

In between our bathroom and closet is a wall with a door-like thing on it. Behind the door-like thing are all the pipes and plumbing from the bathtub. Here is a picture of door-like thing:

Yesterday I could handle the smell no longer. It was just unbearable. So I bravely removed door-like thing. I will not post a picture of the disgusting mess that was on the other side.

When the addition was built and the bathroom was added, whoever did the plumbing work never screwed in all the pipes properly. Basically pipes were just sitting on top of one another. As a result, a bit of whatever went down the tub drain collected on the foundation underneath my house. Nice. I can't even begin to imagine the mold issues that this did cause or would have caused had we not caught it and it continued to drip for eternity. In a strange way, it's actually a good thing that Isabelle started using the tub as her own personal bathroom, because the smell of her urine collecting under it alerted us to the fact that something was wrong. Thank you Isabelle.


2 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Isabelle is a beautiful cat! I have a dog named Isabella.

Tammie said...

i love the names isabelle/isabella. they are so feminine.

i could gush on the beauty of my cat all day but it would bore you. ha ha but i've had her for a long time (almost 12 years) so shes kinda my buddy.