Friday, July 11, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Pretzel sticks are tasty when dipped in duck sauce. I'm also thinking it would be really good over grilled chicken.

In other news, Jay drove out to Jonesville the other day to pick up a sewing machine that was offered through Freecycle. I have been wanting to learn to sew for a while and I can think of no better machine to start on than one that cost jack squat. This particular model is very old and folds into the most adorable little desk. Here it is unopened:

And now opened and ready for use:

It came missing the bobbin, but I was able to purchase some online rather inexpensively. I have to admit that originally I had no idea what a bobbin was and honestly, I'm still not 100% sure. I just know it's necessary.

I can't wait to get started playing around with it. I have no delusions that I'm going to be able to sit down at this thing and immediately create a ball gown. My knowledge of sewing is minimal. I can mend a ripped seam and replace a missing button. That's about it. I would love to be able to make cute, simple skirts for my daughter or handmade blankets.

I only hope that my sewing hobby doesn't end the way my knitting hobby did, with me frustratedly selling the supplies at a garage sale after they spent two years under my bed,unused. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

4 comments:

Layrayski said...

You know 'Bits and Pieces' is the title of my other account at multiply.com (Yeah I'm a blog/networking addict.)

And you and your duck sauce commentaries crack me up. Ha ha ha. Thanks, I needed that.

Wow that sewing machine looks so cool. I've always wanted to sew too! I've tried knitting, drawing, and painting (yep, under the bed gathering dust) and other things I could think of. It'd be cool if you'll show off your sewing creations one of these days. :)

Tammie said...

im glad you enjoyed my duck sauce love;)

believe me, if i get to the point where i actually do manage to somehow create something, you can bet i'll be bragging about it here!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love Freecycle! And Craigslist, too.
I can't sew at all, but I hope you enjoy your new hobby!

Tammie said...

i hope this is a hobby i can actually become good at. it's such a useful thing.

it's funny you mention your love of freecycle, because in the email updates we got i noticed you were giving away some dog crates. i recognized the doxies screenname right away ;)