Monday, June 23, 2008

Weekly Update

OK. I give up. I'm no good at summer. I don't like the heat or outdoor activities. I hate the sun. (That's right Sun, you heard me.) I love the summer rains but not the humidity. I'm ready for fall. Even better if we could just skip it and go straight to winter.

I'm having a very difficult time entertaining the children this summer. The boy is almost ten and the girl is three. Their interests don't often converge. The only thing they both have in common is eating, which they seem to want to do constantly. They are fighting and yelling over everything from who gets to watch the TV in the living room to who gets the last Pop Tart. It's going to be a long summer.

I finally finished "Eat, Pray, Love." It seems as if I've been reading this book for weeks but in reality I don't think it was that long. The ending of the book bugged me a lot. I feel like the story really wasn't finished, but the author was just finished telling it. Plus, of course she found love in the end which, even though it's true in this case, is just kind of nauseating and much too predictable of an ending. Also, I really grew to hate Liz so I kind of wanted her story to end sad and miserably. I think any small amount of affection I had for her disintegrated when she paid an Indonesian official "a few hundred bucks of under-the-table cash" to illegally extend her visa so that she could stay in the country a bit longer. I just thought it incredibly hypocritical that she is bribing people on her spiritual journey. On a personal level, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people think the rules don't apply to them or that they are above the law. Especially when they use money to get their way. It seems as if Liz learned nothing at all on her quest for enlightenment.

Next book up is "Wacky Chicks" by Simon Doonan. Simon is that crazy fabulous guy you might have seen on various VH1 shows and he's also the creative director at Barneys New York. The book profiles various eccentric ladies, one of them being Amy Sedaris, who I love. I'm very excited about this book. It should be a fun, quick read, especially in comparison to "Eat, Pray, Love."

Before I close out this Update, I want to congratulate my mom on her new job, which she starts the end of this week. Going to work everyday at her old job had become unbearable so she's spent most of the last year updating her resume, calling perspective employers, and going on interview after interview after interview. Finally, she found a company with a philosophy she agreed with and they were willing to pay her what she deserves. I'm proud of you Mom!

3 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Congrats to your mom!
My theory with kids is when they're crabby, put them in water! Sprinkler, plastic pool in the back yard, the springs.........
(too bad it's raining today and my CRABBY kids are driving me insane!!)

Tammie said...

i know! we are in the same boat. im anxiously awaiting nightfall so i can enjoy my evening glass of wine.

Miss D. said...

"Also, I really grew to hate Liz so I kind of wanted her story to end sad and miserably."

..and now I KNOW we'd be friends in real life.