Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekly Update

I woke up this morning to rain, which I love. Here in Florida we get most of our rain in the afternoon which is nice, but not nearly as relaxing as a morning rain. When it rains in the morning it sets a very lazy tone for the day. I plan on doing nothing but reading and eating. I hope the sun doesn't come out at all.

The boy is gone again this weekend. This time he's in Georgia to spend some time with my dad. I miss him but it's been nice just being able to hang out with the girl. She and I sat at the table this morning and actually ate breakfast together. Sounds simple, but I hardly get the chance to eat breakfast with the kids. They are early risers and want to eat before 7 a.m. I, on the other hand, cannot even think about eating until after a few cups of coffee. And even then it's usually something small. Somehow this morning we were in sync though and we sat and pigged out on whole wheat pancakes. Then I was stuffed and took a nap. All before 10:30. If I continue at this rate, I will have had dinner and be back in my pajamas by about 3 in the afternoon.

Yesterday I tried my hand at stenciling designs on stationery. The tree stencil in the picture below is from the Lotta Jansdotter book. The brown and green sprig like designs I copied from a picture in the same book and then made the stencil myself. The plain stationery was bought at Target and was quite a deal at only $9.99 for fifty card sheets and fifty matching envelopes. (By the way, you can all just quit snickering about my very 1970's green and yellow bed spread. It was on sale at Urban Outfitters for $12.99 and I was moved by the bargain. Plus, I think it's kind of groovy.)

Having just finished "When you are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris, I've now read twenty-nine books this year. Still on track to meet the goal of fifty. I hate to talk about this too much though for fear of jinxing myself.

Last night I started reading, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I've heard a lot about this book and picked it up at the store many times only to put it back on the shelf. Well, I was saved from buying it myself when Beauty Guru sent it to me in the last care package. In case you don't know, the book is basically about a woman's search for spiritual enlightenment and a certain amount of peace. I'm enjoying the story well enough I suppose, but I think the author is kind of self absorbed and whiny. I'm finding it hard to relate to a woman who thinks the only way she can find herself and learn how to be happy is by taking a year off of work and traveling the world. Wouldn't everyone be happy doing this? I just think it's more important to learn to find happiness in the smaller, everyday things.

But like I said, I am enjoying the story well enough. The author is really good at describing the places she visits and the people she meets. I'm just liking the other characters much more than the main character. I'm in the "Eat" portion of the book right now and it takes place in Italy. All the descriptions of the Italian food are mouthwatering and I'm so glad that Jay is making pasta and shrimp for lunch. I may even have a glass of red wine with lunch because unlike the spoiled Elizabeth Gilbert, I don't have to leave the country and shirk all my reponsibilites to appreciate it.

2 comments:

I V Y O L O G Y said...

Hey, i actually love the bedspread! I'm still stuck in the 60s and 70s, mind you.
I love how you refer to your kids as 'the boy' and 'the girl', lol.
Now you have me hankering for some DIY stencil art, they look so cool! Must-buy-stencils..

Tammie said...

sadly, im finding myself referring to them as 'boy' and 'girl' in real life too.

i am having way too much stencil fun. i never knew an x-acto knife could be so enjoyable.