Friday, June 6, 2008

Weekly Update

I am beginning to believe that the members of the Best Buy Geek Squad are not actual Geeks. If they were true Geeks wouldn't my camera have been fixed in less than a day? Wouldn't it be back in my hands by now? But no, it's still at Geek Headquarters.

There have been numerous times in the past few weeks when I wanted my camera. For instance today when I was hanging laundry, there was a huge yellow butterfly fluttering over my head. Although I love nature, I'm not usually awed by it. But this butterfly was easily bigger then my hand and he lingered long enough that had my camera been available, I would have had plenty of time to get it and snap a picture.

Another time I wished for my camera was earlier in the week when Jay painted the laundry room. The "before" picture of my laundry room would have revealed a dingy, sad, sorry room complete with flat white paint that held on to every grubby hand print. The "after" picture would have been happier. Bright yellow walls with white trim. The boy's framed artwork all along the walls. It's still a laundry room but a much more pleasant one. We had actually wanted a pale yellow but paint swatches can be deceiving and we ended up with more of a Spongebob yellow. It's nice though and I'm happy with the outcome.

Yes, a camera would have been helpful this week. Looking at pictures is much more interesting than reading a description of what would have been in a picture. Hopefully the Geeks will return my camera soon. I miss it.

In other news, the boy left home today with a packed suitcase. No, he wasn't running away. He was going with his friend to Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando. He won't be back until Sunday evening. I'm sure he'll have a good time. The house is so quiet but I have to admit I kinda miss the turd. It will be nice to only have to make dinner for one kid though. And by "dinner" I mean Easy Mac. Or possibly a cheap ass Totino's Pizza that I would inevitably eat half of.

The fact that my son is gone for the weekend prepares me for another trip he will be taking---the safety patrol trip to Washington D.C. at the end of next school year. Yes, I know it's exactly one year away but considering it costs $500, I'm lucky I found out about it when I did. I have some saving to do before then. I'm still trying to decide if I want to attempt to save another $650 to pay for Jay or myself to go along as chaperone. I don't really want to go and I know Jay has no desire to sit on a chartered bus with a bunch of ten and eleven year olds, but the thought of sending my son that far without a parent totally freaks me out. But the thought of attempting to set aside $1150 in one year also freaks me out. I'm going to try to not spend the entire summer thinking about this. I will save all these worries for next school year.

I just talked to Jay on the phone and he is having quite the shitty day at work. Literally. All three toilets in the women's bathroom at his store are overflowing. I feel bad for him. Especially because in comparison, I had a relatively easy day with one less child than usual. The girl was not her usual spawn of Satan self. Plus, she's in bed asleep and I'm on my second glass of sangria. I feel almost guilty for having such a decent day. Not too guilty though--I'm sure I'll have a sucky day soon enough.

2 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I found you by googling gainesville bloggers, I am one myself! 2 of my kids did the d.c. trip. I just couldn't stand the thought of chaperoning; I mean I love my kids but 100's of others? eh....
Anyway, I'm trying to find more G-ville area bloggers so maybe we could have a meet-up one day, I'm so jealous of all these other bloggers doing it!

Tammie said...

yeah, chaperoning does not sound like my idea of a good time.

let me know if you find any more local bloggers. im definitely interested. :)