Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weekly Update

I must start out this update by mentioning the BIG news. (No, I'm not pregnant. That would not be big news---it would be bad news and I wouldn't be at the computer. I'd be somewhere curled up in the fetal position and crying.) The big news is that my son made the safety patrol squad for next year! I don't know if a lot of kids were vying for the various safety patrol positions. I don't know if competition was fierce. All I know is that my son wanted this badly and he got it and I'm proud of him.

Friday night my mom and I went to a restaurant/sports bar to hear The String Kings. I don't know how it happened exactly, but sometime in the past year or so, while I've been sitting home reading books, playing video games, and watching Keeping up with the Kardashians, my mom went out and got a life and is now almost hip. Well, hipper than I am. My mom danced the night away. Sometimes with other ladies, sometimes with Super Dave (more about him later), sometimes by herself. My mom was having a blast.

I actually was having a blast as well, just on a much less effusive level. I'm not really much of a "joiner." At social functions I tend to maintain a permanent spot as wallflower or chair warmer. Because of this, everyone always assumes I'm not having a good time. I find myself constantly having to convince people that I'm enjoying myself.

As I mentioned earlier, we hung out with Super Dave. Dave is a relative of a String King and all around friend of the band. I guess he's also on the local Lex and Terry radio show, although I wouldn't know anything about this since I only listen to moody folk music and cheesy Brit pop on satellite radio. (See, I told you people I'm not hip.) Dave is fun and wild and definitely made the night interesting. Now I understand why my mom so looks forward to her nights out. I hope I get to go out with her again soon.

There are only four more days of school. Every year about this time I get happy. I look forward to my son being out of school. Then, a few days later when he's eaten a weeks worth of groceries in about 16 hours, I am so ready for school to start again. I'm sure this summer will not be any different.

Lastly, I would like to show you a recent purchase I made. Late last week, Lotta Jansdotter merchandise was mentioned over on the Dooce site. Of course I clicked over to Jansdotter's site to check her stuff out for myself and I'm in love with it all. I try to avoid all forms of copy-catism, but forgive me for a moment and look at this:
Is that the cutest check book cover you've seen in your life? I'm hoping it will put me in a good mood when I am forced to write out unspeakably large checks to the electric company this summer.

2 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Ha ha, I work with Super Dave!

Tammie said...

too funny!

it really is a small world.