Monday, June 2, 2008

Phone Call

Monday afternoon I was washing windows when I heard the phone ring. I looked at the caller ID and it's the boy's school. My first thought was "Uh-oh, he's sick and needs me to come get him. My baby boy needs me." I quickly push the on button and say "Hello."

I hear my son's faint voice, "Hey mom. I just wanted to tell you I'm going to be late coming home from school because I have safety patrol training. Bye."

Although I was pleased that he was responsible enough to call me and tell me he would be late, I was also shocked and a little bit sad. He didn't really need me at all. Well, not this time anyway.

This is what I want though---responsible, independent children. I guess I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.

(As a side note to this, when did everyone in my household go out and get lives of their own?)

No comments: