Saturday, June 21, 2008

New Luggage

The other night Jay and I were online. (Have you noticed a pattern in our nightly activities? Such thrilling lives we lead.) Anyways, we headed over to Macy's.com and found this 5-piece luggage set on clearance for a mere $50. Before you start cracking wise about the color, it's also available in black, which is what we bought. This may all seem unremarkable to you. That's because you hadn't seen our old luggage. Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to Thing One and Thing Two. Thing One (the brown one) was bought by my mom and dad when I was a kid. My first memory of it is from around 1989, although it's quite possible that it's even older than that. Thing Two (the giant green one) was promptly saved from the dumpster area of our old condo when we saw a neighbor going to discard it. (I occasionally take things from dumpster areas and am not ashamed to admit it. Okay maybe a little ashamed. If I wasn't ashamed, the suitcase wouldn't have been retrieved under cover of darkness. If I wasn't ashamed, I would have run out in the street when I first saw my neighbor carrying it to the dumpster, yelling something like, "Stop, where are you going with that fine piece of luggage?" And then I would have snatched it from his hand. But really this is all beside the point.)

The point is, our luggage is a freaking embarrassment. Honestly, I think a matching set of plastic Target bags would be less embarrassing. We don't travel often. Once, maybe twice a year. But when we do, we stay in fancy hotels. I love a fancy hotel. In fact, my love of a fancy hotel is the main reason we only travel once or twice a year. We'd probably travel more if I would agree to stay in a Holiday Inn every now and then. My idea of "roughing it" is staying at a Hilton Garden Inn, the cheap ugly step-sister of the real Hilton.

I can only imagine what the concierge and other hotel employees are thinking as they take our luggage from the back of our car. They probably assume that we won a contest and the prize was something along the lines of a "two night stay at the hotel of your choice anywhere in the continental U.S."

I've shared elevators with people with Louis Vuitton luggage and I've never envied them. I don't want to be the type of person who spends thousands on a bag that is going to spend most of the year in my closet, probably as a cat bed. I have been wanting a set of luggage just a bit less conspicuous though. And we got it. For $49.99 plus shipping at Macys.

2 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Good deal! Personally, I was digging the purple. LOL I may have to check that out....

Tammie said...

i pick on the purple, but had they not had the black, the purple would have been what i bought. it's such a good deal.