Monday, June 30, 2008

My Girl

My daughter is having a rough time lately. She's developed a stutter and although I'm told this is totally normal for a child her age, especially a talkative child, it's still hard to deal with. Just because something is normal, doesn't mean it's normal for me. I can see her getting frustrated as she tries to tell me things. This morning she was attempting to tell me something about her brother and after stumbling over a word for quite some time, she finally just yelled, "I CAN'T DO IT!" It broke my heart to see her walk away exasperated.

All the experts say to just do your best to ignore the stuttering and not draw any kind of attention to it. So at this point she's just getting a lot of extra hugs. She probably wonders why I keep hugging her.

This morning when the boy was still in bed and everyone else had gone to work, she came in the kitchen with me and helped make banana pancakes. She loves the Jack Johnson song of the same name and was thrilled to finally be able to make and taste the actual food.


The finished product:

4 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Aw, that would be heartbreaking. I hope she outgrows it.

Tammie said...

it is hard and i hope she outgrows it too.

thank you.

Gili said...

My grandmother was a speech therapist and my mother used to stutter a ton. She still stutters from time to time when she's tired or stressed. I don't know a lot about it, but I do know that speech patterns change a lot as we develop. Still, that must be so difficult to watch. Stuttering can make someone feel so helpless.

I do think she'll outgrow it. She's so adorable!

Tammie said...

gili, it is so difficult to watch. i do notice it happening more when she's tired or excited. i hope it passes as quickly as it came.

and thank you. i think she's cute too but im a bit biased ;)