Thursday, June 19, 2008

Candy Land














The other day I was cleaning my daughter's closet when I saw her unused Candy Land game, and I felt guilty. The side of the box says that the game is appropriate for ages 3+. My daughter is 3+. I'm late.

I've known all along I was late. I was just putting it off until.....well, hopefully forever. It's not that I don't like my daughter. She's nice enough I suppose. (of course I love my daughter!) It's just that playing a board game with a child under the age of seven is a tedious experience. It is a lesson in patience that you will learn no where else. I had done it before with my son, and just wasn't looking forward to doing it again.

In the commercials for Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders there is usually a kid or two and a parent. The parent is laughing and having a good time. This is false advertising. No where in the commercials do they show game pieces being thrown across the room. The camera didn't stick around long enough to film the kid having a tantrum when he was thisclose to meeting King Kandy and he picked up that damn Gingerbread Tree card that put him all the way back to the beginning of the game. No, the Milton Bradley people don't want you to see that.

Even though these bad memories were suddenly fresh in my mind, I decided to teach the girl to play. I poured myself a big, strong cup of coffee and sat down at the table with her. We played two whole games. Time did not stand still and no one died. We actually had a good time.

6 comments:

momjeansblogger said...

You have inspired me to break out the Candy Land in the closet and play with my little guy! Although I'm kind of dreading it. ; )

Tammie said...

may the force be with you.

Layrayski said...

That is funny. I don't have any experience playing a board game with a 3+ year old but I can imagine what you experienced through you humorous narrative.

Jane @ Kidzarama said...

But were you laughing???

I've been putting off doing playing board games with Mr Bump. He's nearly 4 and a half.
I'm dreading the experience.

Tammie said...

no jane i wasn't laughing. it wasn't that much fun.

it wasn't as bad as i had built it up in my head though.

Tammie said...

layrayski, thank you for the kind words. nice having you in these parts :)