Saturday, May 10, 2008

Weekly Update

It has been one of those weeks. Everyone and everything is pissing me off. And before you ask, no, I'm not having my lady times. The children have been less than angelic. The house has been filthy all week long. No matter how much laundry I do, clothes still continues to seep out of all four hampers. I haven't been exercising as much as normal. Actually I've hardly exercised at all. I can't get the floor clean because as soon as I mop, a dog or a cat or two, or five, comes traipsing through. I'm even mad at the sky for not having dropped a substantial amount of rain in months. It's hot and dry outside and I'm just aggravated and nothing seems to be able to pull me out of my funk.

George Bush tried to help me cheer up by putting a hunk of money into my checking account. (Thank you George, you fiscal fool.) Jay said he was sick of me wearing rags so I went out and bought some much needed new clothes, but even extra money isn't doing the trick. It seems almost selfish to spend money when people are struggling so much right now. I've been told I have too much liberal guilt. Possibly. I did go out this morning and "splurge" on a new hamper and a two pound bag of Swedish Fish though. Oh, that's another thing, I have seriously been eating garbage all week long. I just can't seem to stop.

The boy had a dentist appointment this week, and despite all logic and reason, he has no cavities. Of course I'm happy. I'm also completely flummoxed. This is the child who had a Snickers bar for breakfast the other day. Normally, I would have vetoed this but he has learned that the best time to ask me something is before my first cup of coffee, when the answer is usually a groggy "whatever." His eating habits, combined with his deplorable, yet age appropriate, hygiene, should mean that he has a mouth full of cavities. But no, he is a member of the "No Cavities Club"---and there is a picture of him on the wall of the dentist's office to prove it. Strange but true.

Recently, I have become a book club slacker. I haven't been to old lady book club in months. I don't even think the ladies expect me to come back, since I haven't been receiving any of the e-mails. I think they assume that I dropped out. I am planning to get back on track though and go to the next meeting when we will be discussing The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. I'm about sixty pages in and it seems like a good story but from start to finish it's close to six hundred pages. As you know, I'm trying to read fifty books this year---tomes like this are going to make it difficult. Between reading this book and eating these two pounds of Swedish Fish, my schedule is packed.

Jay and I are going to go see Persepolis tomorrow. I am very excited about this. I have been wanting to see this since I heard it was being made into a movie, but I really didn't think it would ever come to this podunk town. Alas, it has and I got tickets.

Well, I guess that's it for this update. I keep telling myself I'm going to stop putting these Weekly Updates up, but it never fails--every 7-10 days I'm drawn to the computer to tell you all about the trivial things that are going on in my life. Lucky you.

No comments: