Thursday, May 29, 2008

Half Way There

For those interested, I am halfway to my goal of reading fifty books this year. If I continue to read at the same pace, I am on schedule to make my goal. Here is a list of the twenty five books I've read since starting this project, in no particular order.

*Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
*The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
*About Alice by Calvin Trillin
*Sleepwalk and Other Stories by Adrian Tomine
*Good-Bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson
*Maus I: A Survivors Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman
*Maus II: A Survivors Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman
*Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
*Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
*The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel
*She got up off the Couch by Haven Kimmel
*The Squirrel Mother by Megan Kelso
*A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
*The Safety of Objects by A.M. Homes
*The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show by Ariel Gore
*The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
*But Enough About Me: A Jersey Girls Unlikely Adventures Among the Absurdly Famous by Jancee Dunn
*Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
*Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
*The Fruit Cocktail Diaries by Brian Carmody
*Big Baby by Charles Burns
*Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
*Cruddy by Lynda Barry
*I was a Really Good Mom Before I had Kids by Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile
*The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon

Books I started but couldn't finish:

*Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer--I once saw a picture in an entertainment magazine of Lindsay Lohan carrying this book. When I saw it in the library my first thought was, "If that bimbo Lohan can read it, surely I can." I am now convinced Lohan was only pretending she reads books.

*Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky---I wanted so badly to like this book about the Holocaust.

* The World According to Garp by John Irving---I have found that I don't love Irving's books right off the bat. It takes me a while. Having only read a few pages, I know I didn't give this one a fair shot, but I just wasn't in the mood for a 600 page book. I may revisit it when less pressed for time.

*The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen---Boring. Six Hundred pages of boring. Also, no chapter breaks. Just page after page after page after page.............I read three hundred pages before giving up. I feel as if I wasted three weeks of my life and fifteen dollars of my husbands hard earned money.

Included in the list are graphic novels. These usually take only a day or two to read so I tried not to include too many of them. But considering I also read more substantial books, I don't feel guilty about the graphic novels I added.

Not included in the list are books I read to/with the kidlets. I also don't plan on including anymore cook books. I've included Vegan with a Vengeance because I feel it's more of a "lifestyle" book with recipes included. Plus, I pretty much read it cover to cover. I don't feel like it's a cheat.

The next twenty five will probably be more of the same types of books. David Sedaris has a new book coming out next week and he really turns my crank so I know that will be an easy read. Plus, I have a nightstand full of novels that I need to start reading. I would also like to try reading some manga. I've gotten manga books at the library and have attempted to read them, but I keep getting scared off by that crazy Japanese right to left format. What can I say, I'm simple.

4 comments:

Becky..AMHW said...

A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favorite books, but it is one that takes a while to get into for sure.

Garp is a little easier to get into. It's not as deep of a read though. It has one of the most memorable accidents in any movie or book, heh. 70's goodness.

Tammie said...

Owen Meany was a story that will always stick with me. It was worth the time it took to read it.

I'm definitly going to give Garp another go soon. I've heard so many good things about it.

tall penguin said...

Wow. You ARE ambitious! This is truly impressive. I consider myself a voracious reader but I got nothin' on you!

Throw a little Paulo Coelho in there. "Eleven Minutes" is one sexy read.

Tammie said...

oooh...i'll add that one to my list. i'd read veronika decides to die before starting this project and really liked it.