Monday, May 26, 2008

Books and Non-Sexual Fan Girl Crushes

After I had my son, almost ten years ago now, I began to settle into life as a stay at home mom. It was hard---not ditch digging hard, but mentally and emotionally hard. I was young (twenty-one) and as much as I loved my baby and marveled at everything he did, I didn't always enjoy his company. I wanted to work and be with people my own age. I wanted to discuss music and books. I was the first of all of my friends to have a baby and other than my family, I was basically alone.

I watched a lot of TV during that time. Specifically a lot of MTV2. This was back when MTV2 only showed music videos. No shows. No Jackass. No Celebrity Death Match or Crank Yankers. Just music videos all the time. I could play with my son and listen to Travis and Radiohead at the same time. This made my days a bit more bearable.

My favorite vee-jay from that time was Jancee Dunn. Flipping on the TV and seeing her made my day. She was funny and entertaining. Plus, being a writer at Rolling Stone, she had a lot of musical knowledge and actually knew what she was talking about. But she also seemed kinda nerdy. Like she wouldn't see herself as too cool to hang out with me. (Because who wants a friend, be they real or pretend, who is significantly cooler than you are?)

So, how excited do you think I was when I was looking around at Powells.com the other week and I saw that Jancee had written a book? Color me thrilled!!

Late last week I received "But Enough About Me......A Jersey Girl's Unlikely Adventures Among the Absurdly Famous" and I started reading it immediately. It was such a fun and easy read. In between chapters about her family and growing up in New Jersey, she talks about various celebrities and musicians she's interviewed. I was pleased to learn that she never really felt as if she fit in with the New York hipster crowd and she would rather be home reading about Victorian Era diseases than partying. I could totally hang out with Jancee Dunn.

This book came at the right time too, because I had just wasted almost three weeks of my life attempting to read The Corrections. After about three hundred pages, I just couldn't do it anymore. I felt stupid, not only for not being able to finish it, but for having read half the book and not having the foggiest idea as to what it was about exactly. But now I'm back on track.

Right now I'm reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime." It's also proving to be a quick read. I started it yesterday and am about half way through. Once it's finished, I will have reached the half way point to my goal of fifty books this year. I plan to have it finished by the end of the week. But first I have to read the latest Bust Magazine, which has Amy Sedaris on the cover---the object of another one of my non sexual fan girl crushes.

2 comments:

I V Y O L O G Y said...

Now *I* wanna be Jancee Dunn's friend. Plus you've just reminded me that Travis is 10 years old!? What the! Time has just flown by...
And 50 books in one year?? Holy moley, good on you! I think I've read 2 this year... you put me to shame...

Tammie said...

i know!---ten years---it really doesn't seem like that long ago.

technically i haven't reached my goal yet---we'll see. it gets hard finding the time.