Monday, April 14, 2008

Weekly Update

The boy is back in school and things have settled down to the usual level of crazy. A controllable level.

The garage sale went well. We got rid of most of what we wanted to sell. Everything else went back in the shed to await the next garage sale. All the books were unloaded. There were about a hundred books and for a while it looked like we were going to be stuck schlepping them all back into the house. We were saved from having to do so though by the arrival of a man who has a book store where he sells books by the pound. He bought the majority them.

The human incarnation of Comic Book Guy paid a visit to our garage sale. He bought nothing. Jay said he probably left our driveway thinking, "Worst........Garage Sale............Ever!" (Maybe our family watches too much television.)

My reading is going well. I'm up to seventeen books for the year and I continue to move forward at a fairly steady pace. Right now I'm reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's a great book about a family of circus freaks. The parents in the family have intentionally tampered with all of the Mom's pregnancies to insure that she gives birth to children with abnormalities. It's a book that's simultaneously intriguing and disgusting. Even though it's only about 350 pages, it has taken me longer than usual to get through it because at times it can be a chore to pick up. It isn't a lighthearted read by any means. But once I do pick it up, I hate to put it down.

Earth Day is coming up on April 22!! I've been trying to think of things to do in celebration of Earth Day, but most of what comes to mind, we already do around here. We recycle, compost, and regularly use a clothesline. We eat a lot of vegetarian dishes. And although my electric bill seems to prove me a liar month after month, I really, truly do my best to conserve electricity, gas, and water. ( I must admit though that my effort to conserve energy comes more from a severe hatred of writing out large checks to Gainesville Regional Utilities, than an actual love for the environment.)

This Saturday we are going to a Food and Music festival in Alachua. I'm really looking forward to this. It's sponsored by a local organic co-op that my mom and I sometimes buy food from. There is going to be a lot of food and some local musicians. At first I was worried this was going to be an event filled with a bunch of banjo pickin' hillbillies, but I looked at the website and it looks like a lot of hippies. And I consider hippies to be my people. Actually I like banjo pickers too, as long as the tune they are picking isn't the one from Deliverance. I guess it's just scary hillbillies that bother me. Anyway, it should be a good time. My mom's favorite local band, The String Kings (formerly The Stringfield Band), will be performing and we've even convinced Jay to go. Hopefully I can get some pictures up. I've added a link to the Farm to Family Music website to the list at the right in case anyone is interested.

With that, I suppose that's all that is worth mentioning in this update.
" Worst.........Blog.......Ever."

No comments: