Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Weekly Update

I feel as if I've gotten lazy with this blog. I haven't been posting nearly as much as I would like to. There are a variety of reasons for this, one being that there is not much going on right now. Another being that anything that is going on, really isn't worth writing about. I have no desire to devote an entire blog to my daughter's potty training. (Although it is AWESOME! My mommy friends know how long I've looked forward to this.) So instead of having blogs devoted to one interesting topic, I am forced to relegate all these ever so mildly interesting things that occur to the weekly update. Believe me, the fact that it's sort of half-assed isn't lost on me. That isn't going to stop me from doing it though. Let the update begin.

Weather permitting, we are having another garage sale this weekend. I used to be such a pack rat but, as I've mentioned before, I cannot save anything anymore. I hate clutter. It's almost to the point where it seems as if I have some type of anti-clutter mental illness. I constantly want to throw stuff away. If I'm given a gift with no real purpose, I begin to mentally calculate how long I have to keep it before it can be trashed without me seeming unappreciative. When I go over to peoples homes it takes all the willpower I have to keep from sorting all their useless junk into piles of things they want to keep, throw away, or sell. Then I find myself arguing with them in my head over the junk I want them to throw away. "I don't care if this was your Grandma's fine China...It's covered with six layers of dust. You don't need it!"

One of the reasons we are having a garage sale is that a few months back we acquired about a dozen or so boxes of books. The book store next to Jay's store was throwing out a lot of their clearance books that didn't sell. I don't understand this. I would assume they could have had some type of sidewalk sale and sold them for 25 cents a piece or something. Anything would be better than trashing them, but what do I know? Plus, I thought that when a bookseller threw a book away it had to be "stripped" (have the cover torn off). All these still have covers. Whatever. It was my gain because Jay brought them all home and I sorted through them like a kid in a candy store. Most of them were nothing I was interested in. (Such as Thong on Fire: An Urban Erotic Tale.....hmm, why did this one NOT SELL?) I did get a few I had been wanting to read, like The Glass Castle, but I have to get the rest out of here now. Thong on Fire has been taking up valuable space in my home now for far too long. Hopefully it will sell better in my driveway than it did in the bookstore. Keep your fingers crossed.

I took a personality/temperament test the other day on Keirsey.com. Normally I don't get real excited about these because I don't ever find them to be on target, but this one was so spot on it was scary. My personality type is that of a "Counselor." Which is described as, "The Counselor Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in reaching their goals, and enterprising and attentive in their interpersonal roles. Counselors focus on human potentials, think in terms of ethical values, and come easily to decisions. The small number of this type (little more than 2 percent) is regrettable, since Counselors have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions. Although Counselors tend to be private, sensitive people, and are not generally visible leaders, they nevertheless work quite intensely with those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues. This type has great depth of personality; they are themselves complicated, and can understand and deal with complex issues and people." Interesting enough.....but what really caught my eye was the next paragraph, which began: "Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust. That's what really hit home, especially the part about having a "rich inner life."

This is something I've only admitted to a few people, but I have a whole other life going on in my head that the rest of you people don't know about and are not invited to. I have no desire to give away all the details of my fantasy life, but I'll tell you what it doesn't include. There are rarely children in this world, and if they are there, they are quiet and with someone else. There are no bills. I have an endless supply of money, can do whatever I want and come and go as I please without having to worry about how others are effected. Sometimes there is even no husband there. Usually the cast of characters is completely different than the ones that show up in my day to day life. I'm sure this sounds crazy and that I probably appear psychotic, but on the contrary I think this is what keeps me sane. As my friend Dawn said, "It breaks up the monotony." I guess problems could occur if I only wanted to live in the world in my head. But, for now anyway, reality has certain advantages. (And before anyone calls me crazy, I can think of a few people who regularly read this who probably fall into the same category---you know who you are. We are more common than you would think. :)

Well I should probably go. It's Spring Break here so I need to go make some half hearted attempt at spending time with the children. I'm sure I will be in another world while doing so.

Oh, before I do go I would like to do some promo for an only-known-through-the-web friend. Chez is releasing his memoir through his website today. Click the deusexmalcontent link to the right if you are interested.

1 comment:

Miss D. said...

I'm an INFJ ("Counselor") too, and was astounded at how accurate the description was, especially the part about "hard to get to know" and "rich inner life". The more I read about INFJs the more it sounded exactly like me. The other thing I've noticed is that INFJs (although we are rare!) will usually notice other INFJs and recognize the kindred spirit (even if we don't say anything). I once had an amazing therapist (when I was having my nervous breakdown a few years ago) who, fifteen minutes into our first session, asked me if I was an INFJ. I was floored, until she revealed that she was one, too! Unlike bigmouth extroverts, we are the ones who notice everything and know what people are up to. I like that.