Saturday, April 26, 2008

Weekly Update: Earth Week Edition

I wasn't going to do an update this week because I've been posting my heinie off all week and I didn't feel I had too much more left to say but then a few thoughts came to me. This will probably be an abbreviated update though.
Earlier in the week I got my Publix Greenwise flyer in the mail. On the back of the cover was a recipe for a black bean/mango salad that caught my eye right away. Now this is going to sound slightly psychotic and possibly piggy, but I've been thinking about that salad for days now. I guess I wasn't the only one in the family dreaming of it because this morning when I asked Jay if he would run to the store to get the stuff for it, he had his shoes on and was out the door almost before I could get the words, "Get enough stuff to double the recipe!", out of my mouth. Pretty soon he and the boy were in the kitchen slicing and dicing. No, not because they are my kitchen slaves, but because Jay loves all things cooking related and the boy wants to be a chef when he grows up. Here is the fruits (and veggies) of their labor:I knew that Jay and I would like this, but I didn't expect the boy to enjoy it as much as he did. I think the fact that he aided in the preparation really made him appreciate it more. The salad is great on it's own but I chose to stuff mine in some pita bread, not because it really needed anything but because I like to carbo-load as if preparing to run a marathon at any given moment.

After my pig out I went book buying with my mom. There is a used book store that we found out about a few weeks ago that we've been wanting to go to. It's not your typical book store though. It's located in an industrial park and only open the second and fourth weekends of the month. Before I got there I was expecting it to be not very organized and almost like a warehouse. I was wrong. The building was divided off into little rooms and each room was a specific section. Most sections were even fairly well alphabetized. Because we had the kidlets with us, we weren't able to really spend as much time looking over everything as we would have liked, but I did quickly find "Diet for a Small Planet" in the Health and Nutrition section. I've had this book on my Powells.com wish list for over a year so being able to get it for only fifty cents was pretty exciting. The boy got some comic books and my mom got eight books for $7.00. I really hope to go back again soon, but without a nine year old boy constantly whining, "How much longer are we going to be here?"

One reason I'm excited about finally getting "Diet for a Small Planet" is that Jay and I want to institute one meat free day a week. Probably Meatless Monday---another idea stolen from the Publix Greenwise flyer. This probably isn't going to be too hard because other than relying too much on chicken, we don't eat a lot of meat to begin with. The tricky part is going to be sure that I have enough stuff on hand for a meat free day every Monday. Plus, I only have a few truly meat free meals in my repertoire so I need to do some research---which is where the book is going to come in handy since it's filled with vegetarian recipes. Meatless Monday is going to involve some planning ahead so we don't end up eating a lot of Honey Nut Cheerios and macaroni and cheese.

This update is already much less abbreviated than I had planned so I'm closing it out now. Before I go I want to apologize for using the term "Earth Week" in the title. I've been hearing it overused all week and it's starting to bug even me so I hated falling into the trap of using it myself. But what the hell...it fit.

No comments: