Wednesday, April 9, 2008

These are a few of my Favorite things.....

I'm a negative person. Or at least that's what I've been told. Various times. By numerous people. I see myself as more of a realist. I don't look on the bright side and I don't expect the outcome of any given situation is going to turn out right or as I planned. Anytime I'm facing anything at all, I try to think of the worst that could possibly happen and then prepare for it. Sometimes this works in my favor and my predictions are correct. There are other times that not even an expert worrier such as myself could have prepared for. Mostly though, I just do all that negative thinking and worrying for nothing. Which makes it incredibly hard to enjoy life. I'm not a happy-go-lucky, bubbly, full of life kinda gal. I rarely like anything or anyone immediately. Most of the time I have to work at liking things.

I thought I would challenge myself though to see if I could come up with a list of things that I genuinely like, as of this moment. Sort of like Oprah, except I'm not an annoying egomaniac and I'm not going to send out my favorite things to everyone in my audience. So here is the list, in no particular order.

1. Stok coffee shots. I have to give credit to Jay for discovering these. He found these when on a reconnaissance mission to a grocery store that isn't our usual one. Knowing I have a love for all things heavily caffeinated, he picked up a box for me. Little shots of espresso to add to your coffee or whatever else you choose. Or you could just rip the top off and pour it down your throat. Whatever works for you.




2. Philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Face wash.
This is the first exfoliator I've used that doesn't make my face red, blotchy, or peel. It's amazing. Kinda pricey but I eat cheaply for the sole purpose of being able to regularly afford this. It's that good.





3. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Mr. Clean is a God among men and I regularly tell him so every time I'm using these lovely sponge type things to wipe my children's grubby prints from walls. I honestly don't know what I did before these were invented. I must have lived in squalor.



4. Pure Ayre Odor Eliminator. I have a cat that likes to pee in places she shouldn't. This makes it seem
like I don't. This is the only product I've ever used that actually eliminates that cat pee smell. There are a couple versions of Pure Ayre. The "Pet" version can even be sprayed directly on your animal.

5. Alec Baldwin. Duh.
(Note: Sarah Michelle Gellar not included in list of things I love, but to be fair she doesn't piss me off that much.)



6. J. Crew Favorite Fit Everyday Chino. These have been on my list of favorite things almost as long as Number 5 has.(Number 5 and I have reached long term relationship status. In my head.) At $59.50 they are a bit too expensive for my purposes (being with grubby children, yard work, etc...), so I usually wait until the end of season for them to go down in price. The rise is low so I don't feel as if I look too Mom-like in them. I get them a size bigger than usual, which makes me think I look like Annie Hall. I realize in reality I probably don't, but whatever. Another plus, they come in colors other than the usual six shades of khaki.

7. The graphic novel. I was introduced late in the game to the beauty of the graphic novel. Which is a shame because I'm just now realizing how indispensable they are, especially when it comes to my goal of reading fifty books in a year. My first graphic novels were the Persepolis series and since then I am always on the lookout for more and more. They are easy to read, even when the reading is constantly being interrupted by children.


8. Powells.com. Based in Portland Oregon, the Powells stores are my favorite place to shop for books. I love them because you can order used books as well as new. I love it when I go to the website thinking I'm going to have to spend $16.95 for a book and whoop! whoop! a used copy is available for $8.95. Saving money is fun.

9. Stinky cheese. Really. The stinkier the better. I try to be classy and cut pieces neatly off. I'm not fooling anyone though. If I knew I was alone with this slab of yumminess I'd be gnawing in it like a rat.
10.Spanikopita (spinach pie).
Spanikopita is basically a dish made from phyllo dough, butter, spinach and feta cheese. I love, in particular, the way my husband makes it. Jay makes the best spinach pie
I have ever had in my life. It is not for someone worried about the hardening of their arteries. He uses an entire pound of butter. Considering each pan he makes is about six servings, um.....that's a lot of butter calories. But it's oh so worth it. When Jay made this dish for me when we were dating, I knew I had to marry this man.
(Note: The picture to above is not of Jay's pie. His looks way better but never lasts long enough to be photographed.)

There. I made it to ten. I honestly didn't think I could come up with ten. I had a little help though. It's kinda sad that I had to ask others if they knew of things that I liked. Also, I know that the fact that the last two in a row are foods sort of implies that I'm a pig. I am a pig. I think you all know that already.

1 comment:

Miss D. said...

(I'm reading some of your back entries when I have some spare time or need to distract myself... whichever comes first).

I love your list, especially the part about how you had to ask other people if they could think of anything you liked. That made me laugh out loud.