Monday, April 14, 2008

Missing Persons

When I was preschool age I had an imaginary friend. Probably not surprising considering my active imagination. He was short but dapper, always wore a suit and tie, and looked like a gangster. A friendly gangster. His name was Fugsy Megaton. I can still clearly picture him in my head. He looks the same. The only difference is that now I'm taller than he is.

All these years I've never been certain if I created Fugsy on my own or if he is just a little-known cartoon character that for some reason made an impression on me. It's hard for me to believe that I made up the name Fugsy Megaton on my own. Plus, I was also friendly with The Great Gazoo from the Flintstones, so the possibility of me attaching myself to a cartoon character is completely within reason.

Over the years I've done numerous Internet searches of the name Fugsy Megaton and nothing comes up at all. It's sort of sad really. I would love to know how he is doing.

When my son was younger he also had an imaginary friend. (Lucky boy inheriting moms weirdness.) At the time, his favorite show was a hopelessly stupid cartoon called "Ed, Edd, and Eddy." One of the characters was a weird little kid named Johnny that carried around a piece of wood with a drawn on face. His name was Plank. When Jay installed wood floors in our house, it occurred to the boy that he could have his own Plank. For about a year, Plank went everywhere with us. We are probably the only homeowners to ever get compliments on our floor from people who had never been in our house. Eventually the boy began to prefer the company of real people and Plank got discarded.

My daughter has yet to show any signs of having an imaginary friend. Or maybe she has had some but scared them off. She can be mean. A few months back Jay and I were listening to a conversation her dolls were having. It went something like this:

Doll One (who appears to be in some sort of peril): "Help me! Help me!"

Doll Two: "No thank you."

I guess I should be thankful she was polite about it.

Ultimately, I really don't think there is anything abnormal or unhealthy about having imaginary friends. I'm still going to do the occasional Google search for Fugsy. If anyone finds him, please send him my way. I still love a man in a suit and tie.

1 comment:

Barefoot_Mommy said...

lmao... is it sad that I know exactly who plank is? We had a plank at our house once too. B plays with imaginary versions of her real life friends. Is that healthy do you think? LOL