Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!


I first heard of Earth Day from one of my middle school teachers. Her name was Charlotte Garrigan and she was, in my eyes anyway, a hippie. She wore little makeup and she just seemed.....earthy. At that time, in the late 1980's, the cause was saving the whales. Miss Garrigan knew a lot about whales and sea life. Actually she knew a lot about environmental causes in general---before it was cool. I think that's why I liked her so much. She wasn't all talk and she wasn't full of shit. She knew her stuff and she lived it. I'm not naive enough to think that one person can clean up what we've done to this planet, but I think there is something to be said for just doing your part, however small it may be.


Our family has spent the last few days thinking of ways to do our small part. Last night we had tofu stir fry for dinner. Surprisingly, the kids liked it. Today's dinner will be a meat free pasta dish.

Jay rode his bike to work today and yesterday. Considering this is about ten miles round trip, I think he deserves a bit of applause.

I had planned on reducing the families carbon footprint a bit by not doing laundry today, but the chihuahua did something very bad and disgusting to the boy's comforter last night so unfortunately I have to do some laundry. And it will be in water that is extremely heated.

I honestly don't know if all my planet saving habits really make a difference. But I don't think there is anything wrong with having, and teaching your children to have, respect for the world around you.
Jay and I bought the above pint glasses at Urban Outfitters last year. Okay, the message is a little different than the one Miss Garrigan preached, but I still think of her every time I use one.

No comments: