Monday, March 10, 2008

weekly update

I had a weird dream last night. In my dream Keith Olbermann was helping me shop for bras. This struck me as odd because although I like Keith, it really isn't in that way. And frankly, I don't want any man helping me shop for over the shoulder boulder holders. It's been my experience that they tend to choose style over function and comfort. And by "style" I mean sexiness. And by "sexiness" I mean utter trashiness and skankitude. In my dream I was supposed to meet Keith at the bra shop and he was late so I was out front waiting for him. He finally showed up riding a 10 speed bike. When I woke up and remembered this I had to snicker to myself because Keith doesn't drive in real life so I find it slightly humorous that I would dream about him on a bike. After telling Jay about my dream he said that he would have seen Keith as more of a beach cruiser/vintage bike kinda guy. For the record, I imagine he takes a taxi everywhere but whatever.

Anyway.

Yesterday Jay called me and told me he had bought me something. Yay. Then he got home and it was a cookbook. Boo. At first I was kinda disappointed because a cookbook seems like such a cruddy gift, but I'm totally loving this one. It's called Vegan with a Vengeance and it's filled with all sorts of yummy sounding recipes that look fairly easy to make.
In the past I've been turned off of vegan cookbooks because they usually are filled with recipes containing strange ingredients that cannot be found at the local grocery store. This one seems different. There are plenty of baked goods in it that I plan on making but tonight I made a side dish called Chickpea Broccoli Casserole. When opening all the cans of chick peas I got many cat friends thinking I was opening cat food. Below is Elsa.


Cats are ever present in my kitchen. Adult humans are gravely outnumbered in this house. There are no rules here anymore. We give the animals what they want so that they will leave us alone.
But back to my casserole. I thought it was tasty and Jay thought it was tasty. The kids...not so much. I was going to post a picture of it here but I am of the firm belief that the tastiness of certain foods just doesn't translate in photo form and this would have definitely been one of those foods. Frankly, it was kinda fugly. I will be making it again though because it was healthy and delicious. The kids will just have to choke it down.


Tomorrow the girl and I are having company. My friend Sarah is coming over and bringing her son, who is about the same age as Lucy. Lucy has never had a play date with anyone other than her brother because I am somewhat of a slacker on the play date front. Setting up play dates is not one of my strengths as a mother.Hopefully it will go well and my daughter won't be completely terrible.

Well that's all for the update. I'm tired, my allergies are bugging me, and I'm ready for a beer.



No comments: