Monday, March 17, 2008

Books

It's good to have goals, correct? I have to admit that I'm not much of a goal setter, which also means I'm not much of a goal reacher. Oh I do set goals, but they are usually more along the lines of, "My goal is to not eat this entire tub of Chubby Hubby in one sitting," or "My goal is to clean all four bathrooms today." Even if I achieve them, not much really to brag about. (For the record I have never achieved the Chubby Hubby one.)

Well people I am here to tell you that I have set a goal. I'm going to read fifty books this year. I'm up to only ten so I have my work cut out for me. Let me say right now that I will be surprised if I actually reach my goal. Starting in April I would have to read about four and a half books a month to reach fifty. Now you might think I'm being negative by admitting at the outset that I don't think I'm going to achieve my goal. I don't think that's the case though, I'm trying to be realistic. Even if I only manage to read thirty five books I will be immensely proud of myself. I'm just going to try my best to reach fifty.

It isn't going to be easy. I don't have a lot of time in my day to read uninterrupted. I have time to read short things like newspaper or magazine articles but reading a book is a different story. (no pun intended) So this goal of mine is really going to cut into my TV time. Which is fine I suppose because there really is no need for me to watch Flavor of Love, or Rock of Love, or anything with New York(the skank not the city) in it, or any of those other mindless shows that I enjoy watching with my nightly glass of wine. I'm going to have to consciously make it a point to read everyday.

Another thing I'm going to have to do to achieve my goal is purchase new reading glasses. This is something I've needed to do for a while, 15 years actually. I've always put it off because I hate going to the eye doctor and I hate spending money on that kind of junk. But I really can't wait any longer, plus we have an excellent vision plan this year so I figure now is the best time. I've always known that I heavily strain my eyes when I read but it really hit home the other night when as I was reading I relaxed my eyes just a bit and literally could not see a single word! All the letters and words and sentences had run together as if the page went black. So yeah, I'm just a bit overdue.

I'm trying to get most of my book selections from the library but it's been difficult. I have gone into the library with a list of eight or ten books only to leave with two. The libraries here have no late fees. I used to think this was a good thing but then I realized that without the threat of nickel a day late fees hanging over their heads, people just keep books indefinitely. I'm sorry but I feel that if you've kept a book for more than six months, it's no longer late--it's yours. You've stolen it. Jerks.

There is a website I've been utilizing since I started this project. It's called Goodreads and it's sort of a social networking site for book nerds. You can make friends and meet people all the while keeping track of books you've read. I'm using my page on Goodreads less for socializing and more for record keeping. I'm supplying a link at the end of this post to my Goodreads page so you can look at my various "shelves" and check out the books I'm reading.

I would also appreciate any book recommendations. But I must ask you to keep your recommendations to books with less than 500 pages if at all possible. I'm reading John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany right now and it is 617 pages of small print that is murder on my eyes.

So there you have it! A goal. Poor eyesight, shitty library, and lack of time be damned---I'm going to do everything in my power to get as close to fifty books as possible.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/926229?shelf=2008-books

No comments: