Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dr Laura

I usually don't like to use my blog to talk in an in depth way about anything of a political nature. Although I follow the news and politics pretty closely, I don't feel that I follow it close enough to really say anything especially thoughtful. There are a lot of other people out there who could put things much more eloquently than I ever could.

I changed my mind though when Jay called me and told me that crazy ass Dr. Laura Schlesinger was implying that the fact that Eliot Spitzer cheated, is partially his wife's fault. I honestly don't even know where to begin to type out the many ways in which this insane woman's thoughts are pissing me off.

I have known a lot of married people. I've been married almost 11 years. I've seen a lot of couples go through rough spots and I know that those rough patches are rarely just the fault of one person. I will agree with Dr. Laura that much. But if there are problems existing in a marriage, no one should have to worry about them being compounded by one spouse not only cheating, but cheating with a hooker.

Dr Laura said, "The cheating was his decision to repair what’s damaged and to feed himself where he’s starving. But, yes, I hold women responsible for tossing out perfectly good men by not treating them with the love and kindness and respect and attention they need.”

Maybe I hold men to a higher standard than the good Dr. but it is my belief that if a man goes out and pays for sex while he is in a relationship with me, then he is not a "perfectly good man." In fact he is quite the opposite.

And what about the woman? Dr. Laura doesn't even suggest that if his wife isn't having sex with him, maybe there is a reason. If a married couple isn't having sex, that means something is probably wrong. Again, that problem isn't going to be fixed by the man paying to have sex with a stranger.

Dr. Laura later went on to say that she wasn't excusing Spitzer's behavior. Whatever Dr. Laura. It sure sounds like you're excusing it.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I expect this kind of garbage to come out of a man's mouth. If Rush Limbaugh had said something like this I would have just considered the source and gone on with my life. But as much as I disagree with Laura on just about everything, I NEVER expected another woman to imply that women have to have sex, even if we may not want to, or be prepared to face the consequences of what our poor, sex starved husbands may do. Making women feel forced to have sex diminishes any type of respect, love, and partnership that is in the relationship.

Whether Dr. Laura believes it or not, she has implied that when a woman stops performing as her man would like, it's perfectly acceptable for him to go out and replace that woman with a better model, instead of just finding a way to fix the model he already has. If you truly love and cherish something that's broken, then you work to fix it. You don't replace it.

No comments: