Saturday, February 23, 2008

weekly update

Ever since my friend Dawn sent me a book about de-cluttering called "It's All Too Much," I don't keep anything in the house too long. I'm constantly getting rid of clothing. When the kids aren't looking I throw away the old toys that they insist on keeping, and we are already compiling things to sell at the next garage sale. Yesterday I took a big step though and went through all the cd's that I've been collecting since I was a teenager. Between the two of us, Jay and I had over 500 cd's and they were taking up way too much space in our house. The ones we are keeping we put in a couple of those nifty albums that store cd's and we trashed the jewel cases. The ones we don't want, we will be selling at the next garage sale. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's nice that I finally am getting rid of a few hundred cd's that I never listen to. But it makes me kinda sad too. I feel like I'm getting rid of memories. Also, when I think that some jackass is probably going to buy the whole lot of them for $20 and then turn around and sell them on e-bay, it makes me a little sick to my stomach. I know that I don't want that barely listened to Me Phi Me cd, but I don't want anyone else to have it either dammit.

I had to be totally honest with myself though...I mean, really when did I plan on listening to Roxy Music's Avalon again? It's a great CD but....I've evolved I guess. It was appropriate for a time in my life that I don't need to go back to and couldn't comfortably fit in if I tried. (Having said that, don't for one second think that I trashed my Robbie Williams cd's. He will always have a place in my collection you elitist musical snobs! Cheesy Brit-Pop rules!) I guess if I evolve further I will be moving all my music on to the computer and getting rid of the cd's altogether. I cannot bring myself to do that though. Baby steps.

(As a side note to Dawn, unless I get the courage to leave your book at the doorstep of a certain across-the-street neighbor with an insanely junk filled garage, you're gonna be getting it back because it's been cluttering my book shelf for far too long.)

In other news, we bought the boy a new bike. His was getting too small and too junky and since the bike is his main form of transportation to and from school, it was time for a new one. Despite the fact that I can ride it comfortably, I'm intimidated by his new bike. Actually maybe because I can ride it comfortably, I'm intimidated by his new bike. It is big, bright yellow, and very "big kid." My son isn't little anymore. I can almost wear his clothes, that is if I wanted to dress like a nine year old boy.

This time next week the man and I will be in Savannah. I cannot wait. We have no scheduled plans when we get there other than wandering the city and eating. It should be fun.

I suppose that's all for now. Well, I actually have a few other things floating around in my head but I'm not sure if I'm ready to unleash them on the world yet. Stay tuned I guess.

No comments: