Thursday, February 21, 2008

Groceries

Is anyone else noticing a serious increase in their grocery bill?

I've been reading a lot about how the cost of certain foods(wheat, dairy, coffee) is going up but I definitely saw it myself this morning.

Every Thursday, shoved inside our newspaper is the Publix flyer. I sit at the table with my coffee and thumb through it, seeing if there are any specials on foods that I know the family will eat. This week they had some good deals on a lot of kid friendly stuff: cereal, yogurt, fruit cups, mac and cheese, and couscous. So I made a special trip. I only meant to pick up the things mentioned and maybe some milk and produce. I spent $100. Now I know $100 isn't a lot but we just spent $298 last week. Plus, we made a few trips earlier in the week totaling about $90. And I haven't even been to Target yet to buy diapers, wipes, cleansers, toothpaste, etc. That's what I'm doing tomorrow and if I can get out spending less than $50 it will be a miracle. (Now keep in mind, all of this is for a family of four. Although my mom and her husband live with us, they buy their own food.)

I just went into the kitchen and did inventory and although we have a lot in there, it doesnt seem as if it's almost $500 worth of food.

Now to be fair, I buy a lot of organic produce and organic dairy. But in all honesty, lately the organic produce isn't much more than the conventional produce. Sometimes when I get it on sale, it's even less. Plus, any extra money I spend on organic food can be cancelled out by the fact that I don't buy a lot of meat, cold cuts, and cookies. Also, I have no qualms about buying "store brand" items.

I was looking through old checkbook registers and three years ago we spent about $220 every two weeks with usually a small trip or two in between totaling about $50. So, in essence if you include the Target trip I'm making tomorrow, our grocery bill has doubled in the last three years. We basically eat the same stuff and lately we waste very little---mostly everything gets eaten. It just seems to cost a whole lot more.

This is a situation I'm sure a lot of people in America are facing, but there doesn't really seem to be anything we can do about it. I can't not buy food.

So, I'm curious to know if you've noticed a rise in prices as well or is my family just filled with hogs?

No comments: